Friday, January 1, 2010

A Day of Piecing

I was very lucky to be able to spend yesterday piecing the spiral quilt top and doing other fun, solitary things. The time was well spent working out some process stuff and making design decisions--the sorts of things you really need uninterrupted time for, plus a fresh eye and unburdened mind.

Originally, I planned the yellow part of the spiral to be strips, randomly pieced. I did a few samples and didn't like them. The red part is going to be nearly all squares--chunks of various checkerboard patterns--and I didn't want the yellow part to compete too strongly with that. But when the strips didn't work out, I kept thinking "triangles."

Triangles. My next thought was all that matching and points and dealing with bias. But, I said to myself, I'm not doing that kind of quilt. It's a freewheeling, boisterous, outside-the-lines kind of quilt. Can I make triangles in a way that doesn't drive me crazy and also makes them look good (to me, at least)? Worth a shot.

First, the heck with even thinking about matching points. (I did measure and rotary cut the strips, but I wasn't obsessive.) Then, I just layered two strips and eyeballed a 45-degree angle, with a little help from some tape on the machine bed. I kept going and then cut the strips apart into half-square triangles.
I ended up with lots of very regular patches, plus just enough with variations. I was having so much fun that I went ahead and pieced together a bunch of scraps, and all the words, too.

Here's the quilt center with the first part of the spiral attached. You can see how uneven the upper edge is. Oh well. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg, again I love it. I love that you are just throwing out the difficult "RULES" (YUCK) and going with the easy flow. It is still work, but it has a fun flare about it. I LOVE a quilter named Freddy Moran, and she collaborated on a book with Gwen Marston called Collaborative Quilting, Talking it Over. If you look at any of Freddy Moran's quilts they are FREE SPIRITED! She uses the boldest colors and prints, which I have to use what I have, but it just encourages me to create my own expressions, and not follow anyone but myself. Just as Monet painted to his own vision, so we must quilt to our own vision. :)