Saturday, August 7, 2010

Linen Strips

My 7-year-old grandson saw these and said, "Whoa! That's different." Yup.


These aren't bad photos, but the colors are subdued a bit and the yellow and green are a bit washed out. In real life they really sizzle. I'm particularly fond of the hot pink and red-orange.



It's fun putting together unstraight edges. No rotary cutters used here! I chop away with large shears and, when possible, use the natural uneven edges of the scraps. I take some care to match up a concave curve with a convex curve, and also put wedges in so that the panels don't curve too much, but I try not to overthink things.

I can't believe how fast this top is going together. The plan is for roughly 45 to 50 inches high and wide, and I'm already at about 45 by 35.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

lovely and great colours. It's different, but in a wonderful way!

Sujata Shah said...

Your pieces are looking gorgeous. I just did a quilt without rotary cutter. Fun isn't it?
Looking forward to your progress on this quilt.

Marit said...

Gorgeous!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

it's wonderful! I love how your process. I can find great deals on linen shirts. need any lime green?

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Love the colors! this will be a beauty!