Sunday, April 4, 2010

Seduced by Cotton Twill

The plan was to dig through three bins that might have suitable yardage for the wedding quilt backing. To get to them, however, I had to get past a bin overflowing with cotton twills ("khaki pants" in their previous life). In fact, I distinctly remember purposely overfilling that bin with the cut-up pants I'd chosen for my next plaited rug, specifically so that I'd notice and, hopefully, make the rug.

I know myself too well. Those almost velvety surfaces, the dense but not too firm hand, the subtle colors ... irresistible. All quilts have been temporarily supplanted. And we really do need another rug for the entry.

I never posted photos of my last rug project, so here they are.


I chose the lightest, most subtle colors and a complicated design with bilateral symmetry. 


The individual strips have anywhere from three to nine laces.
I love it! It's perfect with our tile, too. Twenty-six pairs of pants contributed, with enough fabric left over to fashion a large coffee table runner (not plaited---just made from the 2-inch strips). Plus the inevitable scraps.

The new rug will be a range of somewhat darker colors, although it's hard to tell in this photo. The darkest fabrics haven't been cut up yet. At the far left are the remaining whole pieces, to the right are six bundles of finished laces (all of which will be plaited together). In the middle are two sets of strips ready to fold and sew into laces (plus one bundle of laces). 



I'm deep into the project but, now, almost regret starting it. I'll be so busy with work (courtesy of a small avalanche of freelance projects) that I won't get to any quilts but the wedding quilt anytime soon. Ah well.

3 comments:

Sujata Shah said...

This is the most beautiful handmade rug I have ever seen! It must have taken forever to make!!! I got a glimpse of your tiles and it looks beautiful against them! Very inspiring!

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! I am impressed! Beautiful look using all light neutrals.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness......how beautiful.......so each of those strips get sewn before braided into the rug?

What a labor of love!
Can you wash these too?

Happy Sewing